How To Diamond Paint
PART 1 - Setting Up the Canvas
- Purchase a diamond painting kit at our online store here.
- Understand how to read the canvas. The canvas is composed of tiny boxes that are colored and labeled with numbers, much like a cross-stitch canvas. Each number corresponds to a diamond color. The numbers are written on a chart, with the corresponding bag and diamond color written below or next to it. The chart is typically printed on the side of the canvas. Some squares may contain a letter or symbol instead; treat this as a number.
Unroll the canvas and tape it down onto a flat surface. If the canvas won't lay flat, roll it back the other way, then unroll it. Spread it down onto a flat surface, then secure the edges with masking tape. This project can be time consuming. Consider taping the canvas to a board, which you can move out of the way easily.
- Peel back part of the plastic covering on the canvas. Do not peel all of the plastic away; 1 to 2 inches(2.54 to 5.08 centimeters) will be plenty. Run your fingernail along the plastic to crease it so that it doesn't roll forwards. Some kits come with pre-cut plastic strips. In this case, simply peel the first strip off.
Pour out your first crystal color into the tray. Take a look at the patch of canvas you just exposed. Choose a box to start with, and note the number in it. Look the number up on the chart, then find the bag with the same number. Open up the bag, and pour out some of the crystals onto the tray that came with your kit. Some kits come with multiple trays. You can use the other trays for the other colors in that section.
Part 2 - Applying the Diamonds
- Dip your pen tool into the gel or wax that came with your kit. Open up the packet of gel that came with your kit. Dip the narrow end of the pen into the gel/wax to pick some up. This will make it possible for the pen to pick up the crystals.
- Use the pen to pick up a crystal. Gently press the tip of the pen against the top, faceted part of the crystal. Lift the pen away from the tray; the crystal should be stuck to it. Keep the tray just below the edge of your canvas; this will make it easier to access.
- Gently press the crystal against the corresponding square. Pull the pen away; the crystal should be stick against the canvas. If you are just starting out, it might be a good idea to press lightly at first. This way, if the crystal is off-set, you can nudge it back into place, then press down on it to secure it. This is exactly like painting by number, except that you are using crystals instead.
- Fill the rest of the squares in that section. Work one color at a time and refill the pen with gel as needed. When you finish filling in all the squares with the same number code, move onto the next color. This will help you work faster and stay organized. Avoid resting your hand against the canvas; the more you touch the sticky surface, the less tacky it will become.
Peel away more of the plastic covering, and fill in more squares. Continue filling the canvas in using the same technique as before. Work in 1 to 2-inch (2.54 to 5.08-centimeter) wide sections, one color at a time. When you completely fill in a section, move onto the next one. Do not peel the entire plastic covering away, or the adhesive on the canvas will get dirty and lose its tack.
Part 3 - Finishing Your Work
Cover the canvas with the plastic sheet that it came with. If you discarded the sheet, you can cover it with a piece of paper or parchment paper; avoid using wax paper.
- Go over the canvas with a rolling pin. This will press down any loose diamonds and secure them. If you don't have a rolling pin, you can use a can or jar instead. You can also gently rub the canvas with your hands instead.
- Stack some heavy books on top of the canvas overnight. This will help further adhere the diamonds to the canvas and ensure that they bond properly. If you don't have any books large enough to cover the canvas, you can use another flat, heavy object, such as a box or cutting board.
- Peel the tape away. Lift the books off first, then peel the plastic covering off. Peel the tape from the corners of the canvas. Do not trim the excess canvas way, as this may cause the fabric to fray.
- Frame the canvas. Remove the glass from the frame first, then insert the canvas into the frame. Fold the excess edges down, then place the backing into place. Leave the glass out, as it will only dull down the diamonds' sparkle. For a fancier touch, place the canvas behind a mat first; this will give the canvas an additional border within the frame. Choose a color that complements the diamonds.
Hot Sale Special Mandala Abstract Pattern 5d Diy Diamond Painting Kits VM9825
Best, detailed instructions, with diagrams I've ever read, on how to do the 5d diamond painting kit. Well done.
Great product. I am almost finished with the picture. Everything in the kit was perfect. It looks really good!
Working on it now, will know more once it's finished.
2019 5d Cross Stitch Diamond Painting Kits Black Cat Diy VM00072
The only problem i have with it is that i dont have enough space to do it. lol ive had it about 3 weeks give or take its 70cm by 100cm and im half way done with it im loving it during this time as we are under a "stay at home" order by our governor. ty very much for a fantastic product!!
i do have a suggestion is to put a picture of the finished product on the symbol page. i am very satisfied with the product only problem i have is not enough room to do it lol thank you for a great product!!!! this is a work in progress
received in record time & it works great!
Colors are beautiful, key is easy to read
It is relaxing and something that I will cherish for many years
It was great!
Loved everything about this canvas. The drills are exceptional. I can't wait to start this canvas. Also love the fact that the drills come in individual little baggies so you don't have to worry about kitting up. Thank you VictoriasMoon, I adore your canvases.
Looking forward to starting this one - it looks good.
5d Diy Diamond Painting Flower Kits Beautiful White Flower VM3018
Everything arrived ahead of predicted time. I am missing 1 packet of #22 drills which are going to be sent to me. I love watching it come to life as I work on it each day. I love this craft and will be ordering more.
Loved painting this one and the finished product turned out beautiful! Thank you PWD! I'm a lifer for sure!
This kit has been so much fun. The improvements are wonderful and make it much easier to do. Love the resealable bags and the new numbering system. I have had missing drills in the past due to the backing letting go. The new backing is much improved. It is fantastic. The tweezers are even improved. I am very impressed. The quality of the product is wonderful. 😍
Enjoyed beading.it Appears to look like the picture.
I love this craft. Almost everything I need was included BUT 1 packet of #22 drills , color #3834
Please hurry so I can finish.
But what I have completed so far is beautiful!!
Loving this beauty!
Stunning little beauty!
2019 5D Diy Diamond Painting Kits Dream Catcher VM90866
I am waiting for replacement drills which you said would be mailed to me although I have not received yet.
This is my first Diamond Painting that I adore. The first two that I did, small ones, were not very memorable and I would not hang them on the wall. This one, that I got from you, Black Stallion, is very very cool. I did a great job. I have ordered three more diamond paintings from you. I hope to get them soon. Another larger Black Stallion, a large Zebra canvas and a little zebra piece. I understand you are closed till February 20, 2020. Hope to get them soon.
Almost finished with her. I love seeing my diamond projects come to life
She is colorful and happy. Thanks. Gloria
Cheap Wolf Pattern 5d Diy Cross Stitch Diamond Painting Kits QB6579
Good service. Package in good condition, fast shipping. Very good choice of design
Turned out very nice. My husband enjoyed it
I love doing cats and dogs
I'm not a beginner but I enjoyed this painting! The finished product is fabulous!
I am concerned that i will not have enough drills to complete the project. I am working on it now..... and my drills are quite low and i am halfway through the project. Can you tell me what do i do if i need more drills to finish ?
Great quality item. Very happy. Will buy from again.
5d Diy Diamond Painting Kits Best Modern Art Style Skull VM8757
Very cool diamond painting! The detail is amazing, I'll be ordering more of these!
Really couldn't love it more.
It has more black in it than I thought, but otherwise I love it!